Monday, January 17, 2011

Technology and it's ups and downs

To my utter disgust I discovered that my website has been down for more than 4 days! What a disaster! A photographer uses a website as a portfolio. If it cannot be seen, you are not seen.
With some ups and a lot more downs, I eventually decide that I would change my hosting company.....typically then, the website suddenly became available again.

I cannot explain the panic of that moment when I realised all the hard work that had gone into my website, might have to be done again.Yes, I could start up a new, more flashy flash website.....but I like my site.
It is homey and cosy and says exactly who I am. There is no clinical precise layout, it has personality.
Most of these new flash player sites have a lot of things in common. It seems to much to be like a SHOW. And while we as photographers should show the best of our work, we should not let the website layout and design compete with how we want to represent ourselves. Our own unique style and interpretation needs to be visible. You cannot follow a "recipe" for a website as a photographer. Eventually all photographers will appear the same, with the sames styles and character reflected in flashy, sparkly websites.

Perhaps I am to old fashioned but I do believe that the story is more important than the cover page. There is where it should be experienced. Through the story of your work.Visit:http://www.ericaeaton.webs.com to see for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment